The ACPA Visiting Scholar Program (VSP) selects a cleft and craniofacial care provider from a developing country to travel to the United States and Canada to learn more about cleft and craniofacial care from ACPA Approved Teams. The mission is to ensure that every healthcare professional can provide quality care for all individuals affected by cleft and/or craniofacial conditions.
- Expose visiting scholars with specific skills needed for elevating the level of cleft and craniofacial care in various regions of the world.
- Develop a continuing relationship between ACPA and the visiting scholars.
- Strengthen the scholars’ understanding of interdisciplinary care through professional development and mentoring.
- Ensure that scholars have access to current research, best practices, standards of care, and innovative thoughts and ideas.
- Support the development of the scholars’ clinical and research skills.
The purpose of Visiting Scholar Program is to give a scholar a first-hand opportunity to see interdisciplinary team-based cleft/craniofacial care and provide them with the knowledge to establish or improve cleft and/or craniofacial care within their home country in a team setting.
The visiting scholar travels to two institutions of ACPA Approved Teams in the spring (2 weeks per site) and attends ACPA’s Annual Meeting. Total duration of the scholar visit is approximately 5-6 weeks.
Visiting Scholar 2024 Timeline:
- March 2023 – Applications open
- April 17, 2023 – Deadline to request assistance for identifying an application sponsor
- May 31, 2023 – Application deadline
- August 2023 – Applicants are notified of results
- March 2024 – Visiting Scholar visit begins
- April 2024 – Visiting Scholar concludes visit and attends ACPA’s Annual Meeting in Denver, CO
Past Visiting Scholars:
- 2017 | Solomon Obiri-Yeboah, MD, DMD | Ghana
- 2016 | Jorge Oviedo, DDS | Costa Rica
- 2015 | Gayatri Moghe, MDS, MSc, PDCR | India
- 2014| Ikenna G. Isiekwe, BDS, FMCDS, MPH | Nigeria
- 2013 | Aliaa A. Khadre, DDS, MSC | Egypt
- 2012 | Margot Escobedo, MPH | Peru
- 2011 | Kuenzang Dorji | Bhutan
- 2010 | Fadekemi O. Oginni, BChD, FMCDS, FWACS, FIBCSOMS, MHPE, MD | Nigeria
- 2009 | Ariuntuul Garidkhuu, DDS, PhD, FICD | Mongolia
- 2008 | Pawan Nyachhyon, BDS, FCPS | Nepal
- 2007 | Seyad Emami | Iran
- 2006 | Mehmet O. Akcam, DDS, PhD | Turkey
- 2005 | Peter Donkor, MDSc, FWACS | Ghana
- 2004 | Glenda H. de Villa, DMD | Philippines
- 2003 | Vuthy Chhoeurn | Cambodia
- 2002 | Mikyong Park, BA | South Korea
- 2001 | Pradip R. Shetye, DDS, MDS | India
- 2000 | Anna Gerasimova | Russia
- 1999 | Om P. Kharbanda, BDS, MDS, M Orth RCS | India
- 1998 | Raymund Joaquin F. Erese, MD, MPH | Philippines
- 1997 | Juanita Ruiz de Prada, BA | Colombia
- 1996 | Wiratt Chantharatanapiboon, MD | Thailand
- 1995 | Michael Jainsch | Hungary