The Commission makes decisions regarding Team Approval independently, following the procedures outlined in the ACPA Team Approval Procedures Manual. Members of the Commission on Approval of Teams are not eligible to serve on the ACPA Board of Directors or Nominating Committee during their term. The Commission operates under supervision of the Board.
ACPA team approval is a voluntary and non-exclusionary process. The Commission grants ACPA Team Approval and does not certify or accredit teams. Learn more about approval versus accreditation. There is no judgment or statement of quality made about established Teams that have not elected to apply for approval; nor is holding approval required in order for health care professionals to organize and advertise themselves as a team. However, all teams that apply for evaluation and demonstrate compliance with the standards will be listed as ACPA Approved Teams on the website and are available for the general public to reference when choosing a provider for cleft and craniofacial healthcare needs.
ACPA and the Commission offer no opinion as to any specific course of treatment for an individual patient and any decisions to undertake a course of treatment, and the content of such treatment is a matter solely between the patient and the treating team.
2022-2023 Commission Members:
- Martha S. Matthews, MD – Moorestown, NJ (Chair)
- Kirt E. Simmons, DDS, PhD – Little Rock, AR (Chair-Elect)
- Michael Dehal – Toronto, ON
Public Member – Family Member/Affected Individual
- Christopher M. Discolo – MD, Indianapolis, IN
Other Medical Professional Representative
- Noopur Gangopadhyay, MD – Chicago, IL
Craniofacial Member Representative
- Kelly Hubka, RN, BSN, MBA, CPHQ, CCCTM – Leavenworth, KS
Public Member – Accreditation
- Alexis L. Johns, PhD, ABPP – Los Angeles, CA
Psychology/Social Work Representative
- Danielle Silva – Stony Brook, NY
Team Coordinator Representative
- Anna Thurmes Barigayomwe, PhD, MA, CCC-SLP – Minneapolis, MN
- Deji V. Fashemo, DDS, MPH – Dallas, TX